Collected by Jinyoung Chang
- 8 ounces pork, chicken, or beef*
- 1 cup kimchi
- 8 ounces medium or firm tofu (1/2 package)
- 1 each green onion
- 2 tablespoons fine ground red chili pepper (DO NOT USE THE MEXICAN CHILI POWDER BLEND)
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground red chili pepper
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 cups water**
* Omit meat for vegetarian soup
** Replace water with 2 cups vegetable, beef, or pork soup stock for a richer flavor
- Cut meat into small pieces.
- Cut kimchi into 1/2 inch by 1 inch strips.
- Thin slice the garlic from top to bottom
- Cut tofu in half lengthwise, then slice into approximately 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Cut green onion diagonally in 1/2 inch lengths
- Place kimchi, meat, and water in a medium pot or large stone bowl over high heat and bring to a full boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Skim any oil/foam from the top.
- Add tofu, garlic, and red chili pepper, return to full boil, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add green onion just prior to serving.