- 2lb. Diced cacti
- 1lb. Tomatillos
- Green jalapeño peppers (to your taste)
- ½ Fresh cilantro
- 1 Medium onion
- Garlic 1 ½ spoon full
- 1 chicken broth Knorr cube
- 3 tbs. Oil
- In a medium pot place the cactus, ½ onion, 1 garlic bulb and salt.
- Pour water until the ingredients are covered. Cover the pan and leave until they boil and are soft.
- In another smaller pot add the vegetable oil and the other ½ onion to fry. Once the onion is fried, place it in the blender along with the tomatillos, pepper and ½ teaspoon of garlic.
- Once all of these ingredients are blended place them in the original smaller pot with oil then add the cacti, cilantro, 1 chicken broth Knorr cube and a glass of water. Cover the pot and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nopales comes from the Nahuatl word nohpalli for the pads of the cacti plant. The plant is a common ingredient in Mexican dishes and can be served as a toping. However, this recipe serves as a main dish. It was my favorite growing up along with the agua de nopal.